View Single Post
Old 18 Jun 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1008280)   #54
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I doubt that Jenson would have had a shot at the title, that year the engine was outclassed and the two Promatecme drivers were no-where in the standings!
I think part of Tweed's point was that staying in F3 and not winning the title would've been very damaging - people on the otuside wouldn't've udnerstood why he struggled. And lots of promising guys have fell apart in F3000, sometimes never recovering.

As a result, I'm not sure 'greater pre-F1 experience' is the issue. Let's imagine if he'd've won UK F3 in 2000 (unlikely, as I say) then had a promising F3000 rookie year in 2001 (not a certainty by any means). He'd've been entering F1 in a team where he lacked support, expected to be on podium pace quickly, without his previous knowledge from 2 years in F1 and 1 year in the team.