View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1013456)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Historically I think the old system was appropriate for the kind of racing CART had. Last year the racing was a bit different so perhaps it wasn't as just as it had been. Last year it was clear that victory needed to be rewarded more strongly.

For the new system I think that someone who drove well and perhaps led, but DNFed did a better job than someone who completed some laps and finished down the order. What the new system does is reward people who don't finish that strongly because it does not have as great a percent difference between positions as in the past. As I said, I think that the old system wasn't necessarly just for the kind of racing we had in 2003. We now have similar racing and we've moved in the wrong direction with the points scoring.

While the standings may not be radically different, we can see the potential for the unjust due to the points differences. For instance after a race 6th place is rewarded the way 4th use to be.