View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2005, 07:48 (Ref:1347467)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole
A little more on the Lotus 58 turbine car if my memory seves...
After the tragic loss of Jochen Rindt in the Type 72 at Monza in 1970, I seem to remember Lotus entering a single 58 in the same race the following year.
To avoid legal wrangles over JR's accident the team was entered as "Worldwide Racing" and the car was painted gold with a black nose.

Can anyone confirm please?

Cheers
Peter
Peter, do we actually mean type 58 - I can't recall this car and having checked cannot find a reference to it in any books. Is it not the 56B, which, as you quite rightly state, was entered at Monza 1971 under the'Worldwide Racing' banner, for the reasons you describe? It was indeed gold and black and was incredibly dramatic looking but unfortunately, it wasn't as fast as it looked and finished 8th with Emmo at the helm.