View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1589635)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
One item to ponder is the latest hybrid (gas/electric) Toyotas & Hondas will shut down the gas engine automatically and start it up automatically when necessary due to load. Says a lot about their faith in the starter motors and associated components.
Hopefully, my next car will be a hybrid Lexus. Not only does it cut the petrol engine when stationary, it runs entirely on the electric motor at low speeds - so crawling along in traffic it uses no petrol at all!

I agree it says a great deal about Honda/Toyota's faith in their components. I have wondered what impact the system may have on the petrol engine - alot of stopping and starting, and then running on a cold engine isn't ideal for economy or longevity.