View Single Post
Old 4 May 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1600473)   #7
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a large answer question. First we could talk in general and then about a specific car. We may optimice the cornering power for a certain condition or we might build the car to be easy to "read" for the driver and therby easy to adjust-set up for different condition. As a general I prefere a very much "zero" car that has no agressive cambercompensation curve, low forcelines, longer A-arms and less SAI (and litle scrub). That way the car can be adjusted at the track for different and tire condition, like using static camber setting opposed to camber compensation A-arms.

We should watch the forcelines for staying the same angle during wheeltravel-roll, not altering the geometric weight transfer that confuse the calculation of spring-roll setting. I find it better using close to ground forceline (Rc) and only work with springs-rollbars, that can be adjusted, and then hopefully without influence from jacking forces which makes it easier for the crew.

We dont need to pay attention to where the forcelines intercept sideways, it is the angle that is important and each wheel could be calculated with separatley with its froceline angle where the outer wheels forceline angle is the moost important. The car will acually physically roll about where the outer wheel forceline crosses the centre of the car independent from where the the forcelines interception are located sideways. We could use a sloped roll axis,lower front, but i dont find it to important.

Building the front and rear suspension geometrically more alike is an easier way not to make balance-handling misstakes. If not knowing exactley what we are doing.

Regards
Goran Malmberg