View Single Post
Old 10 May 2000, 21:57 (Ref:1642)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula One!
Formula One in 2000!
What is it that makes me watch every race of the season, even if I have to get up in the middle of the night?

Is it the one and a half hour procession of cars driving around circuits that are no longer suited for todays racing standards?
Is it the inability for a faster car to overtake a slower car because of the way they are designed?
Why do I burst out in cheers when a driver does manage to pass another driver?
And isn't it pathetic when this happens only once in a race, I talk about this with other fans the next morning?
"Hey, did you see driver X overtake driver Y at Z-corner?"
"Yeah, wasn't that GREAT!"

No, it isn't! There should be so much overtaking that only the truly fantastic manoeuvers should be worth talking about.
But today I think it's GREAT when one driver passes another driver only once during a race.

Is it because of the drivers I watch Formula One?
Are they really that good or are they merely passengers in a computer controlled car?
Traction control, speed limiters (the most pathetic thing on a race car), drive-by-wire etc.
Are these really racing cars? Sometimes I get the impression they could send it around a circuit even without a driver in it.
Remote controlled!

Is it because of the exciting way the tracks are build?
Do I really want to see 2 or 3 chicanes in every circuit?
Why are they there anyway?
To slow down the cars, you say?
Isn't racing all about going fast, not slowing down.
Ah, it must be about safety, then.
But racing has never been safe and it never will. Racing and danger are two words that should always be in the same sentence.
Just ask Sir Stirling.

Am I watching because of the fantastic TV coverage?
Well, actually I am in a situation that I don't have anything to complain about, watching it on digital.
But isn't it true that many of us have to deal with delayed coverage, especially the free practice and qualifying sessions?
If you get to see them at all.
And if you're watching it on terrestrial TV, aren't you fed up with watching a lonely Mclaren or Ferrari who's 8 seconds in front of everybody else, while there are much more interesting duels going on at the back of the field?

How come I am hoping for rain for nearly every Grand Prix in the hope it might turn into a spectacle?

Isn't it time I should do something about this what we call Formula One but actually has turned into a farce.
Isn't it time I should tell Bernie Ecclestone to stop counting his money and instead start listening to the fans.
We all know how to make races more interesting.
Slicks and less downforce are two things to start with.
Isn't it time I tell Bernie and Max not to treat me (and you) as a moron.

Problem is, will they listen? To me that is.
I don't think so.
But would they listen to us? All of us!

To sum it all up, I really don't know why I'm still watching Formula One.
But I do!
Can anybody tell me why?

And should I start putting Bernie and Max under pressure?
Shouldn't we all do that?