View Single Post
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1685089)   #12
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have ofren wondered about electric pumps for this and that, But the thing that allways crossed my mind is the bit, You Dont get somthing for nothing, surly if it takes 5hp to drive the oil pump, and you remove the pump from the engine and put an electric motor on the pump, does it still not take 5hp to drive the pump?? so obviously the power has to come from somewhere, and obviously the alternator has to provide the power, with the extra loading on the alternator does this still take 5hp to provide the exta power to drive the pump??,
I would have thought the power savings in pump parasitic losses would be better made in design and low friction materials if friction losses are relevent in such a well lubticated situation, and thinner synthetic oils.
I can see the advantage of driving the pump from an seperate battery and charging in the pits, but if the battery goes flat Bang goes your engine!!
We used to Drag Race with a switch in the power line from the alternator which efectivly turns off the coils and loadings from the alternator.
if you are still keen on an electric oil pump what about some of the new generation Electric PAS pump.
Ian