View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1817441)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As mentioned on the other thread, I'm thinking of modding (upgrading, may be a better word) my MGC GT. It's such a nice original car that I don't want to go over the top. I've just had to replace the rear leaf springs and steering wheel for the MOT; the former had a fractured leaf on one side and the latter, loose spokes. I replaced the steering wheel with a direct replacement preferring to keep the big diameter rather than a smaller radius Motolita or similar. The big wheel makes it feel much more in period as well as keeping the steering effortless.

However, I am thinking of changing the original steel road wheels (complete with chrome hub caps!) for 'original appearance' alloys, rather like yours Peter, only I'll stick to wheel nuts rather than spinners. Also want to replace the original fixed seatbelts with inertia reels. The fixed belts occasionally slip off the shoulder however much they are tightened. I'd like to replace the seats with ones with head restraints, although they are £350 each, exchange.

Under the bonnet, I'm thinking of replacing the distributor with a new look alike one which contains proper modern electronics for easier starting, spark control and better fuel consumption. Finally, I'm also thinking of substituting the existing air cleaner with K&Ns. I'm not really looking for improved performance, more a way of making it just a bit more practical for regular use in modern driving conditions. Any views on the above, anyone?