View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1817470)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
As mentioned on the other thread, I'm thinking of modding (upgrading, may be a better word) my MGC GT. It's such a nice original car that I don't want to go over the top. I've just had to replace the rear leaf springs and steering wheel for the MOT; the former had a fractured leaf on one side and the latter, loose spokes. I replaced the steering wheel with a direct replacement preferring to keep the big diameter rather than a smaller radius Motolita or similar. The big wheel makes it feel much more in period as well as keeping the steering effortless.
A bit late for the rear end but I'd certainly consider nylon bushes for the front suspension and when needed replace the standard dampers with uprated versions.

Quote:
However, I am thinking of changing the original steel road wheels (complete with chrome hub caps!) for 'original appearance' alloys, rather like yours Peter, only I'll stick to wheel nuts rather than spinners. Also want to replace the original fixed seatbelts with inertia reels. The fixed belts occasionally slip off the shoulder however much they are tightened. I'd like to replace the seats with ones with head restraints, although they are £350 each, exchange.
I only stayed with knock-ons because I was replacing wire wheels.

Be careful with the seat belts, some of them can come up a little short.

As to the seats, whilst not original a pair of historic competiton seats with head restraints may prove more economincal although I don't have head restraints on the MGB.

Quote:
Under the bonnet, I'm thinking of replacing the distributor with a new look alike one which contains proper modern electronics for easier starting, spark control and better fuel consumption. Finally, I'm also thinking of substituting the existing air cleaner with K&Ns. I'm not really looking for improved performance, more a way of making it just a bit more practical for regular use in modern driving conditions. Any views on the above, anyone?
I stuck with the traditional dizzy but it is a competition model as supplied by Brown and Gammons and I haven't experienced any problems with it.

K&Ns do provide an improvement so I'd definitely go for them.

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Jan 2007 at 09:38.