View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2007, 02:43 (Ref:1982113)   #8
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444
. If someone of the experience of PB can get it wrong, does this not cause alarm bells in the minds of the young and invincible?

Clearly they don't get it. They think they're indestrucible and never seem to learn from others that they're not. 'I'm a good driver', they say. Ah-huh?

You do a test. You make a reverse park without higtting the gutter, you do a three-point turn and you obey most of the rules and they give you a licence. Suddenly, you're a 'good driver.'

Hands up here anyone who isn't better than average. Go on. Now think about that. How can everyone be better than average? I've studied statistics; only about a third can be better than average. One third will be within what's called a standard deviation of the norm (that's 'average') and another third will be worse.

Right. That's that taken care of.

I've also worked in driver training. Never mind where and when. These were people who wanted to learn and in theory should have been prepared to listen. Guess again.

Time to move on.

Who mentioned crushing the cars? That idea has some merit - they're doing it Los Angeles according to this morning's Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...252546951.html

A shame to see some nice cars get ruined, but maybe it would work with some. Of course, it would just build up resentment against 'them' from some who have only a nodding acquaintance with the rules of acceptable behaviour - you know, the ones who deal in drugs and put together a 'nice' car with the proceeds. They'll just think it's more reason for them to go feral.

Lots of the people being arrested in Sydney in the last few days seem to have been disqualfied from driving already - clearly not law-obiders. This is more of a behavioural issue.

Did this sort of lawlessness exist on such a scale in the past? Where does it come from? People are no damned good, it seems to me. I'm looking for an island to live on.

Car club members should be prowling the hangouts of these folks and encouraging them to join a proper car club - let them race on a race track, for God's sake. Maybe that will help.

That's a barrow I've been pushing for years - everybody say's 'yeah, good idea, someone should do that', expecting 'someone' to do it. I've tried. I really have. But I won't stop.

I need a lie down.

Kramer