View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1983269)   #22
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comp i went to was in Pt Pirie, malalla is only about an hours drive, if that.

I've been to a few drift comps as a spectator, but you don't need to be affiliated with a club for that. And i don't think that you should have to be in a club to enjoy your car. I don't know why the government havn't cottoned on to it, that they could make a fortune (probably not as much fining people tho) charging people for such activities. Seems like a sweeping under the rug thing.

Keep in mind here, i agree 100% with the street racing laws, and the punishment that those guys got. But with such laws, it has already become apparent that they are being abused. I know of a guy who left a house, his mate left about 2 minutes later, and suddenly both their cars were impounded. Now i'n not up with those laws, but a 'race' is usually at the same place, same time.

I never looked into the MG or mini club, as i assumed they were model specific. I'll see what they come up with, but if its going to cost me $500 a year just to be a member, i don't see that as being cost effective.
Burnout comps and off street drags only cost around $30 or $40 if i remember the correctly, but 8 hours is abit far to travel daily, and work. Obviously your motorsport is only a weekend thing, and you must have a very understanding employer to be able to come and go. Others aren't so lucky.

Once again, this has gotten side tracked. Street racing = Bad, but if there isn't facilities readily avaliable like there is for people with other interests, don't be suprised.