Thread: Brabham BT16
View Single Post
Old 3 Sep 2007, 16:54 (Ref:2002807)   #39
merriewells
Rookie

merriewells should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brabham Chassis F-2 -1-65

Hi Allen,

Your right about mostly nationals and regionals. Bob Fuller was the head of a large company at the time and had little time to go far. Steve Brownstein was also limited in time to take what was basicly a 3 year old car with the MK12 engine, putting out about 140HP and run around the country and race the continental series with newer cars (Lotus 41's, Brabham Bt 18's and 21's running the current engines, Cosworth MK13, Vegantunes and Brian Harts putting out between 170 and 180 HP.). You are correct about the Lime Rock race. Although 8th overall on the grid, he was, I think, 1st or 2nd amongst the FB cars, and ahead of a whole bunch of the FA cars with their big V-8's. Do you know how he finished that race, because I don't. I can say that the race at St. Jovite was a prelim for the F-1 race in 1968. He won, beating such Canadian drivers as Jacque Couture, Bill Brack, Craig Hill and Peter Broeker all of whom had the latest equipment. Both Rindt and Alan Rees were quite tickled to see the old Winkeman car still winning races.
With regard to your question of MK12's and Mark13's, These were 1600cc Twin Cam engines built,I believe, for the American market. The 12 was good for about 140HP, the 13 was about 150-160 and then they were superceded by Vegantune and Brian Hart with about 170 to 180HP.
Sending you the few pics I have is no problem as long as you can tell me how to e-mail them to you. I know that one of them is at that mentioned Lime Rock race with the car sailing under one of the FA cars in big bend.
One is seen in the rain at Watkins Glen, where the car scored an overall win, FA, FB and FC cars, by over 1 lap. Cheers, M.W.