View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 2007, 10:36 (Ref:2051874)   #1020
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
In mine I lift as late as possible, because it will step away if I don't. there's a pic from this year on one site (can't recall) where I'm exiting with the nearside rear wheel just off the ground (judging by the shadows), so I don't think I'm any slouch through there.

But some cars can do it flat, and the MGB I drove is one of them. It's all down to balance. I believe Gordon Streeter can also do it in his Anglia.
I'm flat in the Cortina and due to the long diff we had in for Spa, needed a shift down to third right at the top of the hill to keep it on cam and pulling for the start of the straight.

The Corvette I didn't really get enough time in it before it minced 2 gearboxes but dare say 450hp, 1200kg and balls the size I have mean a lift would definitely be required.

The Elva is a lift, down change going in and very delicate steering not to disrupt it. Having spun Drabble's Merlyn there last year and almost hitting the wall at the exit of the pit lane I had a clear vision of how not to do it each time I tackled it this year!

So my point is that each car is different and requires a different approach.