View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2162299)   #6
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite simply, the finest cars on the planet. I've never been in one; but remember an interesting chat with the old bloke who (used to) run them at Goodwood Festy of Speed. He had driven a blue 401 there (I think) - the 'BMW' one - (Bristol got a BMW factory contents as war reparations, IIRC) - which was half a century old and done >350k miles. Never went wrong, and was never likely to, apparently. He said he liked to tell his customers that his cars would outlast them comfortably (though in fairness that could be a consequence of the age of someone who'd managed to accumulate the incredibly vast amounts of cash required). I particularly appreciate the 'practical' aspects of their design: the engines are understressed so more reliable; anyone wealthy enough to own one probably needs some wading ability to traverse their remote estates; they look anonymous (ugly) enough not to attract vandalism (well, except the Fighter - but that'd probably attack you back); they eschew 'barreled' sides in order to make them narrower and easier to drive in traffic. The Fighter has a whole host of aerodynamic features that seem to have gone unexplored by other manufacturers. The only thing missing
is a GT racing program!