View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2008, 06:02 (Ref:2182548)   #25
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos
How many times has a spare car actually been needed?
That's the real question here, how many times have they been need. I can recall Tasmania 2 years ago where Jamie was out, one of the BJR car's at Bathurst last year and obviously this one over the weekend. That's 3 instances that I can remember vividly over the last 3 years. If there are any more, please add them on.

Most teams have a spare chassis that they can transfer over the running gear from the damaged car. Problem with having a spare car ready to go in the truck is, that it would have to be maintained, set-up for each round and so on. Another set of spare parts that would have to be maintained or purchase for that car, even if the team has a spare parts pool.

I would rather say, than having a spare complete car in the truck, is to allow the teams to carry the spare chassis that would normally sit in the factory just in case anything happens, and make them transfer the running gear over. Would cause them to have some all-nighters getting it ready, but would reduce the advantage that a front end team would have to a back end team, in terms of having a complete car ready to go.