View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2258733)   #17
edeanbutler
Rookie

edeanbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't now if anyone is still following this thread or not. I never saw it before today! Re. my blue series 1 IROC Camaro: According to Doug Karon, who had the car for many years and from whom I purchased it, the car is the prototype Series 1 car and was built by the Penske people from a 1972 or 1973 road car. After testing this car, the others were built from "white bodies" obtained from the Norwood, Ohio, factory. Why my car would be the first and carry the number 11 is a mystry -- so I cannot claim to know for certain mine is the prototype. Certainly mine is the car which ran the series as number 11. The car was in a big accident at Riverside at one point, when the right rear was badly damaged. The repair work is very obvious, suggesting this really is that car. As someone pointed out, the first IROC series ran 1973-74 (over the Fall/Winter months) with Porsches. The Series I Camaros ran the second season (1974-75) and the following two seasons, for a total of three seasons. The Series 2 cars (Banjo Matthews tube chassis) also ran three seasons -- 1977-78, 1978-79 and 1979-80.