View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2265887)   #19
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
If the hill record is slowly chipped away as Wooley suggests then I do not think that there will be an "intervention from on high". However if there is a big shunt then expect a thorough examination of the venue.

If the 'powers that be' want to slow the cars down going into Bottom Esse then the only way this can be achieved is to slow the speed through Kennel Bend &/or Crossing. How this could be achieved would be debateable but it might involve an alteration to the course layout!

As to when we see the first sub-20 second run that could happen anytime either Scott or Martin string together the perfect run.

If you look back to the last century in 1951 the record stood at 37.27, ten years later in 1961 it had been reduced by 7.7% to 34.41. By 1971 the record had been lowered by 13.1% and stood at 29.92. In 1981 the record stood at 26.42, a reduction in the preceeding decade of 11.7%. Then from 1981 to 1991 the record fell just 2.2% to stand at 25.86 in 1991. Since then the record has been slowly reduced and in my opinion will continue to be so.

Just as I thought, a topic to provoke some friendly logiacal debate! You can all blame me and Woolley for me starting it!

Steve, I think I'd have to agree with your comment the most. As with most (if not all Shelsley goers) I'd hate for "them upstairs" to start banding ruin-some changes around at Shelsley and as you and Woolley say, if the record is chipped away in small stages, there will be no need for such silly moves.