Thread: Brabham BT40
View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2270856)   #92
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only just spotted Mike's story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rand
Mike Rand here, enjoying the read.
Funny story RJ, how are you ? God knows if anyone was opportunistic it was, and I'm sure still is, Fred Opert.
Another thread I can add a bit of information to.
I bought the rebuilt Brian Robertson car [after he destroyed it in Singapore in 1973] from Opert to replace my crashed Rondel/Motul M1 in the early fall of 1974. Took it to Road Atlanta for the Runoffs, finished third in a 3 BT40 train, Duclos-Mike Hall-me with a new lap record that day.
I ran the car all of 1975 and it was showing it's age as an Atlantic/B car so I converted it to FC with a Cosworth BDJ 1,100cc injected motor. A little heavy for FC when guys were running F3 chassis with the same motor but a typical Brabham, strong, forgiving, easy to work on, brave, thrifty, clean, etc etc all the good Boy Scout stuff.
As someone else posted, no chassis number for you, we just didn't care back then.
Sold it to Larry Snover from Pennsylvania somewhere and I think he sold it to Ohio where at one point someone contacted me as they were converting it to a sports racer of some description.
I loved that car, real quality, a far cry from a modern production race car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
I have another possible fate for BT38/1. The 'Osprey SR-1' 2 litre sportsracer built to Can-Am spec in 1977/78 was based on "an ex-Graham Hill Formula 2 car that a Chicago racer brought over from Europe". Could this be BT38/1 or could it be one of the older Rondel BT36s that he drove in 1971. I'm off to the BT36 thread next...

Allen
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
I have a little more on this Osprey business. The two people who built the Osprey, Jack Finucan and Dan Hartill, bought the "ex-Hill Formula 2 Brabham BT34[sic]" from Chuck Dietrich along with some Lola T294 bodywork and a pair of FVCs. Jack recalls that Dietrich was importing quite a bit of stuff from Europe.

It would have been pretty old by this time. Any of this helpful? From reading the threads, it appears more likely to be a BT38 than a BT36.

Allen
The timing is right and the location (Ohio) is right for this to be the Osprey. Everything else is wrong but it's worth bearing in mind.