Thread: Driver Webber VS Vettel
View Single Post
Old 31 Dec 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2363054)   #76
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Wow. There's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Can I vote this the lamest thread ever? Not the subject as it's a worthy topic of conversation - but the content...

Why is it that when a poster states that Webber will have difficulty with his limited preparations and the lost ballast due to KERS, the poster is derided for preparing excuses - yet when his list of team mate casualties is trotted out, said derider proceeds to claim that they were too old, too inexperienced, not fast enough, not good enough, not tough enough, injured, blah blah blah...?

Seems a touch hypocritical to me.
Well it is motorsport, and the biggest acid test is your pace against your teammates. Webber scores well in this area, but neither has he been teamed with someone half decent most of the time. Nobody can suggest Yoong, Klien and Pizzonia were all that good and it cannot be denied that DC was not at his strongest in his later years albeit still a decent hand.

Quote:
FACT 2: For the large majority of his career, Webber has been plugging away in significantly uncompetitive machinery.
Yes. But why so?

Quote:
FACT 3: Mark struggled to adapt to the single tyre rule in the first half of 2005 (the only disappointing period of his career), but by the end of the year he was on top of it.
To be fair, all the drivers without exception had to adapt to that.

Quote:
FACT 4: Sebastian Vettel is a superstar - forget about future tense, he already is.
Certainly is.

Quote:
FACT 5: For the last third of 2008, the Red Bull was a far worse car than the Toro Rosso - Vettel has said this, after driving both.
I don't understand how this can be so, barring the engine. But if Vettel says so, we must take his word for it.

Quote:
Given the enthusiasm with which many seem to take great pleasure in finding reasons to denigrate Webber, this is going to be a closely watched battle in here. One thing is for sure - any half chance you lot (and you know who you are) get, you will be all over him. With reason or, as is usually the case, without reason.
People wouldn't bother to 'denigrate' Webber if his frankly ludicrous fans didn't big him up to the point where the casual observer could be forgiven for thinking he was the best motorsport has to offer. I think people are confused by this and will always debate the issue. Let's face it: if Mark retired right now, he'd be best remembered for flipping a Mercedes in France a couple of times. A feat that Peter Dumbreck then put into the shade! He's just a solid, middle of the road racer and nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
However, I think a lot of people may be surprised by just how close this fight may be.
If Mark hadn't got injured I think he would have had the upper hand slightly for the first few races. However...

Quote:
Personally, I think qualifying will be very tight - Webber's greatest challenge will be footing it with Vettel for full race distances.
Qualifying is something we know Webber is competent at, so this will be an interesting aspect of the battle. I too expect this to be the close part.

Quote:
Vettel may edge it - Webber may edge it, but I've got a feeling that the pair could actually forge quite a strong and formidable team.
Absolutely. A possible Michael/Rubens-esque partnership?