Thread: ARDS Questions
View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2446103)   #30
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
T-T, congratulations on passing, do you want to reveal what the condition, is it something that may affect any of us in the future?
Yeah - no probs - it is Epilepsy. Shock and Horror. I probably know that this will create a storm - but unless you have it is is difficult to understand and easy to pass judgement. There are actually over 40 different types and 100's of differing symptoms. It is really a catch phrase for a lot of anomylous neurological events.

In my case I have only had 3 episodes all within 1 month, well over 11 years ago, and very likely related to tremendous stress at work. The stress was taken away and I was given a low dose of some very simple drugs. The problem simply vanished overnight and I have not had any symptoms for 11 years or more. I have a full unrestricted car licence and I am a driving instructor - so the DVLA are happy!

My GP puts my risk of having a fit at probably LESS than an average person (which is 1-200 as it happens) and certainly less than a smoking male at 60 having a heart attack. He also says that my risks are far less than someone who has come off medication. He is in full support of the application. I also have full support of the series I want to race in and also of the drivers in that series (I bothered to check first!)

The MSA initially said it would be OK but now appear to be saying that you have to be fit free AND off medication for 10 years - but this is NOT what it says in the BlueBook! Grrrrrrr

Whatever, I am sure they will consider it fairly - and at least I hope I went around my application in an open and honest fashion. I checked with GP first, then MSA and even the Series guys. I also checked with Silverstone when I did my ARDS and everyone is OK. I cannot see that I can do anymore than that.

If ever I had a problem (which would be totally unexpected) my licence (and DVLA licence) would go straight back with no fuss or bother as I am not into risking lives. However if the licence was not granted I would have to feel it would be blanket discrimination - particularly if they would grant a licence to someone off medication who potentially may be MORE at risk!

Sorry for long reply but it is a little complicated.

Cheers for everyone in helping us with our ARDS - all your advice was really valuable.