View Single Post
Old 20 May 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2465631)   #470
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauber11 View Post
http://www.f1news.ru/news/f1-50063.html new part from Aleshin.
Funny thing he said about John Surtees. Sorry for this rude translation.

And as usually it did not manage without the red flag: they hung it out exactly after my first lap on new rubber, which as a result became the best. But everyone were astonished by Henry Surtees: he passed lap for second (!) faster than anyone! But how this did come out, will ask you, indeed thus far leaders stably “did convey” to him a second on the lap? Answer is simple: weather. It was evidently that soon it will begin rain. I already used a new set of tires; therefore I stood in the boxings and suddenly saw the staggering picture: hardly wind calmed down, as literally in the same second came running itself John Surtees and he insisted so that to his son of Henry, whom he helps, immediately would be placed new tires! So Henry run without the wind and with the use of a boost system .
Well what here it is possible to say? I think, helped the experience, obtained by sir John in the distant fiftieth and the sixtieth, when it earned his champion titles.
No one could even imagine in those times that the entire divisions, which correspond for the weather summaries, sometimes will appear in the commands of formula 1: all relied on its experience and sensations. So that, I think, in our paddoke no one will be able to predict the weather of more precise than John Surtees!
Have it on good authority that when Surtees did his fastest lap Boost had not been enabled.. All drivers are given fastest lap data as reference and included is cars boost, if Aleshin looks he will see Surtees did not have more boost. Also he only managed 3 fast laps on new tyres and all 3 were more than 7/10's faster, see lap sheets. It was done in the session prior to the rain and boost enabled session which Aleshin refers to. It was timely as most were waiting for the boost enabled session. Only a few laps were run before the rain fell.