Old 26 May 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2469466)   #89
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier1102 View Post
Reading this thread reminded me of the ETC when i was a teenager, I don't remember the year but brock and grice were at Monza and the rover SD1s
I was lucky enough to be a sound recordist with Hay Fisher and we were filming the ETC for an Australian network, i remember Grice took a dislike to Walkinshaw and at Monza we were in the Pits filming the driver changeovers, Walkinshaw had been chased by grice for many laps and when he came in "I think?" to let Percy takeover he got out the car and I would say he was looking very anxious, almost frightened, he explained; it seems that whilst flat out on the back straight Grice had been ramming the Rover and pushing it along lap after lap, a little unsettling at 150+ mph, Walkinshaw couldn't underdstand it but you could tell grice was really enjoying himself.
Would have been 1986. Interestingly when Win Percy was sent out to Australia by Walkinshaw to establish the Holden Racing Team in 1990, Percy picked Grice as his Bathurst co-driver having driven with him at Bathurst in 87 & 88 in Commodores and in the 88 ETCC in a Nissan Skyline. Apparently there were raised eyebrows back at TWR. But the choice was justified when with Percy carrying an injury, Grice did the lion's share of the driving on their way to an unlikely victory.