View Single Post
Old 15 Dec 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2600369)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Hayden has seen Stoner's data and says that's not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yellow360 View Post
I've seen the data also, and disagree.

When Hayden starts going as quickly as Casey, I'll believe he understands the data.

I know what I don't know. I don't think that Nicky does.
From the Nickey Hayden interview, posted today on Superbikeplanet.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/...-interview.htm

Question, Superbikeplanet: What was the difference in what you saw in the data between yourself and Casey Stoner. Did you ever see his data, and did it look different?

Answer, Nicky Hayden: Sure. Everything is an open book around there. I think that's one of Ducati's strengths. From the satellite riders to the factory riders, you go up into the truck, it's all— the team managers from all four—chief mechanics from all four riders, now five riders, working from the same truck, sharing all the same information. I think that's a strength for them.

His data was ...it wasn't so much he only relied on the electronics to do all the work. He really has great throttle control. He gets off the corners better. That's one of the things that surprised me. He really gets off the corners good. But for the most part, he's still about a second a lap quicker than me most places. He's faster everywhere, but one of the things early in the year that was encouraging.

I say "everywhere" but there would be parts on the track where I would always be just as fast as him, but there was a couple places on the track where I would lose a lot of time. So that kind of gave me some good confidence, knowing that if I could always fix those one areas, I would be getting closer. So I've still got to get a lot closer, but we're confident that we can close that gap. One of the things is his top speed is always quite a bit better than mine. So we're going to go back to the wind tunnel in a couple of weeks and try to improve that. Because I got no doubt we have all the same parts, same engines and stuff.

He does get off the corner better than me. But we're missing something, aerodynamics or somewhere. Because there's too big a difference.