View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2619996)   #23
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Good info KA!!!!; I had no idea about any Alaska link to the Salmon backing? I always thoughts it was John West (even if West products have perhaps been more associated with Tuna!!)
I originally read the story in one of the Italian car enthusiast magazines (Auto Italia or similar) and posted the details in the 'GTV6' thread- it was from a track test in the mid-90's of the ex-Kirby Alfa, by then much modified for club racing. Apparently a director of John West was a key player in putting the 'Salmon Can' Alfa deal together- I suspect they were heavily involved in the whole 'Salmon Can' campaign, as they'd probably have lost a lot of sales- according to an old newspaper report I found online, they'd already been hit hard by a similar botulism case in the late 70's- I guess the economics of the tinned salmon business in the 1980s might be a bit off-topic though!