Old 12 Feb 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2632362)   #67
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
VolvoGroupA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Looking at your avatar (is that the correct word?), KA, you might sport a TWR Rover, but in the background there's an Eggenberger-Volvo! This continuation of cars explains why no "Eggenberger" Volvo seems to exist today. Winning the '85 drivers title would suggest that it should be the most desirable car today, as RAS never seemed to achieve the same level of succes.

One of the two Swedish Stefan Pettersson ran a Volvo 240 Turbo in the Swedish Group A series in 1990 in Eggenberger-colours, but that was about it as for breed, I think.

I can't help but speculating what would have happened with the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth-programme if Ruedi Eggenberger had been retained by Volvo for the '86 season.

Jesper
One of the two original R.A.S Volvos still remains today actually. Car #2, this car rest in a museum in Finland, owner is the late Leif Wiik. Car #1 was scrapped by the order of Volvo. And the 3rd car remains in the museum in Gothenburg.

The car of Stefan Pettersson you mention, is in fact the former Per Stureson Volvo DTM winner from 1985. And the car still has the same "look" as in 1990, a friend of mine own the car today.

Volvo with R.A.S would had won the ETC 1986 to, if it wasn't for the three times they got caught cheating and was disqualified, even thou they won these three races at first. They won 5 races fair, it would have been 8 if not for due to the disqualifications, and 8 out of 14 races at 1st place would have given the R.A.S team the ETC title 1986. They was disqualified because of the dashboard (this complaint Eggenberger to put in to FISA since he was the one that built the dashboard and so knew that it was ellegal), and one time for using wrong fuel with higher octane and finally for having 2 and 3 liters more fuel than the rules permitted.

But even Rover was caught cheating! And they was the one that was complaining about Volvo the most...