View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2713935)   #275
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro 6r2 View Post
With all that 6R4 knowledge I am sure you can tell me a lot about C998 LCA which I now own. During the current rebuild the car shows signs of being painted Computer Vision blue in the early days. Let me know your thoughts.

Good evening '6r2' and a warm welcome to Ten Tenths to you - and to C998 LCA!

As KA rightly pointed out, C998 LCA was indeed rallied by Willie Rutherford during the 1986 British rally season. It started it's life in white with blue Sanyo / Comet logos but was then painted blue with white logo as the season progressed. The car was prepared by Rally Engineering Developments (known as R-E-D) in Widnes, Cheshire, and they also looked after the 'sister' cars C996 LCA for David Llewellyn and C997 LCA for Harri Toivenen.

The blue that this car was painted was indeed very close to Computervision blue - see the photo below with Willie Rutherford stood alongside it - which was taken at a pre-1986 Lombard RAC Rally shakedown. Full credit to the original photographer - 'the' Ian Grindrod from britishrally.co.uk...

I do also recall that it was actually sprayed Computervision livery by a subsequent owner before Steve Winter / Andy Elliot started rallying it - I'll see if I have any photos though.

Events wise, C998 LCA contested the following rallies in 1986 - Granite, Manx, Port Talbot, Mewla, Lindisfarne, Quip, Audi Sport and the RAC.

So what are your plans for the car then '6r2'?