View Single Post
Old 16 Jul 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2727702)   #1153
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
I'm not totally agree with this...the fans (I'm a fan!!!) are important, but team owners are important too...it's important that they are satisfied about rules...or we want to have dissatisfied team owners? We want to see unhappy people make divisions or go away? We ar fans: we would be happy to see a series with perfect rules for us and with (with all the respect) tdrivers like Steve Knapp o Joe Gosek? I think it is better to have a compromise...

I think that there is too much pessimism about this new rules...I think there are some interesting aspect, and some possibile scenario...let's see what happens...
Team Owners are not more important than the fans! Are you saying you feel sorry to any stick and ball owner that pays a player millions of dollars? He's all of a sudden not going to be able feed his family or not pay the bills? That's ridiculous!

Honestly, if say Ganassi and Penske don't like the rules (not likely I am sure by not only having the most money but also the most influence) both have NASCAR operations that are money makers, especially Penske since he's the de-facto Dodge works team.

They are making concessions that help guys less rich or diversified as they are, but in the end it doesn't benefit the fan because its not what you want. Allowing people to design their own aero packages is piecemeal, you can't see that?

How are the guys putting the product on the track are more important than the people watching it?

If Indycar got better ratings, more corporate money would flow into the series then we wouldn't have to worry about back-markers so much. In fact I can't be concerned about them, racing teams can't have it both ways.

What I mean by that -

Some feel its not fair to be critical of rich men driving their own cars in Sports Car Racing, yet throughly professional racing doesn't have that problem. But there's always a crusade to save the back-markers that are back there for one reason or another.

In both cases I'm taking the position of fan advocate, I want the best product possible if you expect me to watch it. But if you already know I will watch Lawn Mower Racing, then there isn't much incentive to be successful.

What Indycar is figuring is two things -

The base will be happy with crumbs despite the moaning online

The casual fan won't notice what's under the skin

So basically they are willing to either give you crumbs or think your some sort of idiot.

As Marshall said on his Speed TV post, he's insulted that the powers that be feel casual fans don't want to know the technical side of Motorsports.

Indycar is not NASCAR and the typical NASCAR fan will not watch Indycar. So the fan that will support Jr even if he's driving a firetruck or a clown car will still be Jr fans. In NASCAR the driver is vastly more important than what they are driving.

Indycar fans are not NASCAR fans and casual fans don't care about Indycar because there's nothing interesting about it.

But clearly from the general disappointment around the net, this decision was a mistake.