View Single Post
Old 29 Apr 2002, 17:01 (Ref:273429)   #8
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chofar
Anyway that poor car wasn't a very original idea. Using fan's nostalgia instead of trying a real racing policy.
You are going to think nostalgia is really cool when you are my age! Young people may think nostalgia is foolish (like i did when i was young), but it is quite different when you are older and you don't like everything changing beyond recognition.

And the new GT40 is almost a completely different car. It is using spaceframe construction, unlike the original's aluminum monocoque. Instead of the 6 and 7 litre behemoths, Ford is settling on a 5-litre supercharged engine. So, it really isn't the same car. It is probably as close as Ford could come to the original car and still get it on the road.

I really like the GT40 and hope Ford can get it to the race track. If Ford were to enter the car in GT competition, the GT40 could maintain it's racing pedigree. If you think there were complaints about the Saleen, wait to you hear the crying about the GT40! For sure, the GT40 would meet all the homologation requirements, allowing it to go head to head with the GT class' best.