View Single Post
Old 20 Aug 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2747446)   #99
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
I asked somewhere a wee while ago about how the noise levels are measured. What I am trying to get at is, if I am running a V6 engine and I bring the exhausts out, one on each side, where does the decibel meter measure from? 1 meter behind the car? 1 meter from each exhaust? Surely if all other things are equal, in those circumstances it should give a lower reading than a straight 4?
Sam,you are quite correct in your thinking,you are only having to silence three cylinders. The noise test is done at 1mtr from the exhaust exit at an angle of 45degrees.Most circuits have a purpose made meter with a rod attached which in turn has the 45 deg cut in to the end,the distance from exit to the meter is set at the 1 meter length.