View Single Post
Old 25 May 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2885755)   #730
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
an ancient American adage. 'If you build it they will come!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
The key to soccer (football) finally becoming somewhat popular in the U.S. (though nowhere near as popular as American football, basketball and baseball) was the emergence of the U.S. as a minor soccer power and the development of some native-born American star players.
arguably the key to the US soccer program, rather its biggest encouragement in terms of promotion and development of younger players, occurred after they were awarded the 94 World Cup. 20 years later, in 2014, they will be considered one of the top challengers.

from the linked article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
The more we hear about what a financially lucrative business Formula One is, the more taxpayers should object to using tax dollars to support it.
is that kind of like saying 'if business was so lucrative why does business need tax dollars to support it.' a fair point to be sure, one which you have made about 40 times already in this thread, but i still dont see the connection.

every F1 race exists because of government help. every major sport in the US exists because of government help and that includes the use of public money.

i cant even think of one major sport anywhere that is self sufficient and doesn't either rely on direct handouts from government or indirect subsidies in the form of property tax breaks and loan security for stadium/arena projects or spending on ancillary services like hotels, road, parking, hospital, police and fire services, and airport construction.

as a sports fan and a tax payer (in Canada of course but so is Montreal so i hope the fact that they accept public funds doesn't keep you from visiting)i love thats what my gov't spends money on.

in a somewhat unrelated matter, my city just got screwed out of reclaiming our lost NHL team the Winnipeg Jets from Phoenix because they decided that their gov't should pay to keep them in Phoenix. anyways its all good because we are going to get Atlanta's team with the help of our local gov't and the countless millions in infrastructure renewal and improvement that will come with it.