View Single Post
Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2898180)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
I couldnt help but point out that the Audi's and Peugeot's have no engine noise.
I confirm that Peugeot makes noise, a solid lorry one.

Quote:
The Audi's got taken out in two incidents where the driver couldnt see the Audi and turned in on it.

i would also like to mention that I was watching the onboard for the #7 peugeot on one of Anthony Davidson's Stints and he almost had the exact same incident that happened to Rockenfeller in the exact same place. This went unnoticed by live television fortunately i was watching the feed and it was close.

Anthony was going for the inside in the kink and the Larbre Corvette apexed it and Davidson backed out of it and passed on the outside. Davidson fortunately had the time to back out of it.

Notice that none of the Petrol powered cars had these close calls because you can here the petrol cars coming. If you cant see them hearing them is the next best thing.

Since theres no engine sound on the Audi or Peugeot they are more susceptible to being hit by unaware Gt Drivers. Heres the differnce between sound and light. When the bright light shines it blinds the GT car's mirrors and theres no perception of distance.
That the lights of the Audi blinds the GT car's mirrors, yes, I think it's possible.

Quote:
We all know based on the Doppler effect that the Petrol P1 car will sound different when it is far away compared to when it is at your quarterpanel. Sound in most cases allows for distance perception. Its alot easier to know where the Petrol P1 is thatn the diesels. Woudlnt be surpsrised if ppone of the two teams comes back next year with a louder sounding engine
As said in a post above, I'm not sure that the differential of speed between the GT and LMP makes the Doppler effect of the sound easily perceptible with a helmet, the noises of your own car and of the relative wind.

Quote:
Its the same issue electric road cars have with pedestrianss. People dont here the electric car and risk getting hit now they make electric cares give audible sounds to alert pedestrians
You are absolutely right, I totally agree. When I have electric car I hope I will be allowed to choose the noise : Panoz, V12 ? Difficult to choose !