View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2928779)   #37
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The thing for me that's a question mark over Alonso as the very best is his season alongside Hamilton. If they were more or less equal in a driver's first season, how could Alonso be better, you might think?
I don't think Joe Public has ever been told that full story to be honest.
I can't remember if it was Joe Saward, Andrew Benson or some such blog, but the article backed Alonso's difficulties quite considerably, The author spoke of Ron Dennis and essentially the team favouring Hamilton over Alonso from pretty early on.
Mention was made of Dennis having to pacify Alonso at Bahrain, the 3rd GP of the season.
Then critically he asked Alonso after winning the Monaco GP from pole etc to make up some story about the team and Hamilton.
By the time of Hungary where he blocked Hamilton in the pits, after Hamilton had gone against team instruction for qualifying they were at war and Alonso dropped the team in the s**t with the emails and copying Ferrari secrets. Alonso was never going to be a team patsy like Coulthard was during his time there.
I doubt he's particularly proud of his actions, but I think you get those two together, it would be a vastly different Alonso now.

To go back to thread, Alonso, head and shoulders clear. I don't think Vettel would be dominating if Alonso was teamed with him at Red Bull.

What makes me laugh is how for years drivers like Prost, Lauda, Stewart were considered boring because they didn't hustle a car, yet now we're going on about Top Gear and smoothness... If i remember right, wasn't Lewis's lap in the wet round there?