View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2948597)   #82
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You might also need a few more more races on TV at a time when some of those "yoots" of the new generation in the USA aren't still sleeping after partying all night on Saturday.

Any "new" sport with almost no history or fan base, introduced in a country with no driver or team that is 5 hours behind the normal televised coverage is going to be a tough sell. I realize there are other countries on bad time zones out there but they have drivers, teams or the fan base for other reasons.

This extremely biased fan thinks F1 should already be immensely popular in the States despite no race or driver but alas it isn't, probably for a lot of other reasons and I really don't think Austin or any other US venue will do much to make Americans F1 fanatics. It will help, but it won't be a turning point because F1 is a European thing, NOT an American thing. Yea Americans my watch a little football (soccer) but they largely ignore European matches and the World Cup unless they are in it. The same goes for other European sport.

Quite frankly, with baseball; (including MLB, college & Little League), football; (NFL, college & high school), basketball; (NBA & college), hockey, NASCAR, PGA, tennis, boxing, UFC and a few other sports I forgot on TV in 3 convenient times zones with LOTS of Americans thrown in for good measure...

...who needs F1?

But what the measure of success of a USGP in Austin or elsewhere will be is the biggest question. Considering there is nothing in the US right now success has already been achieved IMHO with a race on the schedule.

What the folks in charge think in 10 years remains to be seen.