View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2959337)   #223
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is true that Chrysler is entering the ALMS with a factory program (and we don't know if that is true yet or if the rumor is complete nonsense), then one must assume that they are pleased with the existing structure of the ALMS or whatever Atherton has told Chrysler that the ALMS will be in a few years. Changing the whole structure of the series when major new programs are coming in and/or major programs are continuing their existing programs may not be a recipe for success. If the existing programs and the ones coming in want change and they all want the same or similar change, well that is a different story. How often is there total agreement though?

Anyway, I think catering to the fans (especially us message board fans) has become the major problem for racing series across the globe. It's kind of like the NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL/whatever. I'm sure every stick and ball team message board is full of fans who think they know more than their team's GM, but ultimately the fans are happy if their team wins even if the team strategy is totally different from the fan's proposed strategies. Listening to fans and their wild message boards ideas has led to insane gimmicky racing. Instead, the series just need to know what makes for good racing and do what needs to be done to achieve it. There's no need to make it overly complicated, but then again, that may just be a message board fan idea that I pulled from my rear end!

Oh, as for why various North American series have struggled, there is no one single reason for any of them. It's usually a string of errors and also bad luck in some cases.