View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2961427)   #260
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I decided to tally up the permanent road courses with long-standing stature, that are considered "up-to-snuff", and I did NOT include rovals in this either. For the US, this is what I get:
1. Laguna Seca
2. Lime Rock
3. Mid Ohio
4. Portland
5. Road America
6. Road Atlanta
7. Sears Point
8. Sebring
9. Watkins Glen

That isn't very many venues, and there are HUGE geographic gaps left when only taking these nine into account. If we include Canada, the total comes up to 11, with the addition of Mosport and Mont Tremblant.

I've already had several people on here shoot down VIR as an option. There's virtually NOTHING in this middle portion of the country as far as a good, permanent venue is concerned; Heatland Park and Hallett don't exactly cut it. The old Brainerd isn't up to standards, and the new, shorter course isn't a good layout. Bridgehampton is gone (turned into a golf course).

For where the series would want to go into a new area, there really isn't an option apart from a temporary circuit. Too bad Riverside is gone, leaving Long Beach as the only real option in Southern California.
Although it is not that simple,GARRA ran on courses that seem to not be "up to snuff" what ever arrogant status that would be for the IMSA, a series not far from going belly-up.
Of course that could be one of the reasons it is not far from going belly-up.
The original IMSA ran where people wanted them, and that was not part of the reason it died.
The reason it died was the same as now, it offered little in the end for anyone to care about.
I do not think being asininely arrogant about tracks being "up to snuff" is anything the IMSA can afford to be an ass about.

Although eleven tracks is more than enough, if the series offers what pay spectators want.

Middle of America is more often seen as a being within x miles from Detroit, or at least was back in hot and heavy gear-head days.
Geographically it would be Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas.

Texas is in no way middle of America. It suffers from being not really the south or the west, especially as East Texans and West Texans see themselves as being from different parts of the US, or at least one West Texas instructor told me so.

If the IMSA is going to be as narrow-minded as some here seem to be, I think it is time for the fat lady to sing.

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 27 Sep 2011 at 00:12.