Thread: NZV8's 2011/12
View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2999584)   #294
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
You're right, speed is only an ingredient. For years it has been known that the answer to public appeal is STARS in cars.

Sucessful promotion requires that you enlist the support of, then promote those stars. Don't take their money and cheese them off.

It occurs to me that one of the hidden costs of racing at T1 is the depreiciation of your car. How many classes now have arrived in a blase of promotion and then been turfed out a couple of years later when the next spender arrives?

Lately I feel for the people who bought in BMW Mini. Sure they were a bit fragile and parts were costly but they required genuine ability to drive quickly. Along comes Suzuki and next thing the Mini's are worthless. V Expensive racing when you look at it like that.

Suzuki's teach NOTHING. The LSD takes away any great need for finesse. Great for the karting kids I suppose. They get a year or two in cars before they realise that sooner or later you need more ability that equipment.

Look back over the last 20 years and you'll see that pattern time and time again.
The only classes in this country with any stability (of sorts) are FFord and whatever big V8 class there is. And I suspect that stability comes from the commitment and determination of the owners/competitors- not from an autocratic administration body.

MSNZ have seen that NZV8 is their golden goose and havn't allowed that to happen up til now. The plan forward for them lacks realism and has the potental to burn even more people.
whilst i quietly havn't agreed with many of you posts, you hit the nail on the head here.
MSNZ done a similar deal to Rallying in the mid-90's. Tasman/Corrola Cup was hatched (no pun intended) using 100 series 3/5 door hatches. Cars were built, but before the series started, Suzuki cam along with the Baleno Cup cars, and the Toyotas became club cars over nite.

the NZV8 sereis wasn't a bad class 3 years ago, but has gone down hill ever since, possibly due to complacency of the promotors thinking that using the same staid recipe every would still draw decent crowds.

guess what.......... didn't work. even when i got free passes to the
T1 meetings, i found them a pi$$ poor way to spend a weekend and gave them to people who might have been interested.