View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3014674)   #251
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogelmann4 View Post
Is anyone going to run the GTE car this year or is that dead?
It was planned that Ian Dawson would run Evoras in the ALMS, but that seems to have fizzled out. That may not be the case though. Who knows with Lotus. Supposedly they have been doing development work on the Evoras during the off-season, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
So now we have 2 manufacturers in P2 (Nissan and Lotus) coming in through the back door. If they did build their own chassis' and ran them that would be against the spirit of the regs IMO. As they are doing it currently I see no problem. Nissan needs to step up to LMP1 and perhaps this is a toe in the water for 2014. With Pug gone it sure would be good. One has to wonder if the Honda will go with a works effort as well in the future? A shot at Le Mans glory has a lot of marketing value. Sorry for wandering from the theme of the tread... Bottom line, more manufacturers are always good as long as you don't cater to them at the expense of privateers.
It's hard to say about the P2 situation. I suppose if Lotus did build a P2 coupe, it would be built to cost-capped specs presumably and they would probably sell it to other interested parties. Maybe not, but that would have to be my guess. Having said that, we know that cost-capped status is a joke. I think it was Greaves who said that the Norma is the only true cost-capped chassis in P2. Maybe the Bailey too, but that has not hit the track yet for a race. The new P2 just seems to be a free-for-all with all sorts of things being considered legal even if they aren't within the spirit of the rules. Added to that is a seemingly new BoP rule on paper for P2 in 2012. Yippee. P2 cars may end up with more waivers (albeit pseudo-waivers) than GTE cars.

As for Nissan, I think they only come in if they can compete on the cheap. Peugeot leaving makes things cheaper. To tie this into the Lotus topic, I guess Lotus might even become interested in P1 if the price to compete becomes cheap enough. They're in everything else, so why not? Honda, well, who knows. Even if the factory money never arrives, I wonder if there is enough privateer interest in the Wirth coupe. If there is, will HPD sell it? Can they create a good privateer hybrid option for 2014?