View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3016670)   #172
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think a lot of this is negated by fr3.5 racing on similar circuits. particularly in 2011. it's only come 2012 that they've drifted a bit. in 2011 you had silverstone, monaco, monza, hungaroring, nurburgring, barcelona and spa. that's not bad!

i keep saying this but many, if not most of the guys who have gone from gp2 to f1 already had connections with f1 teams just like the red bull young'ins do. nico rosberg, lewis hamilton, nico hulkenberg, romain grosjean... if you've left it till gp2/fr3.5 to start showing your talent you'd better have a very big wallet. like maldonado, perez, petrov, pic (lots of p's), etc.
Yes, that is how it seems both on the circuit and money fronts.

Those circuits you mention are in the top list of challenging tracks a driver needs to know before F1 aren't they, the others probably being outside of Europe anyway?

The leaving it late thing is a good summary, in fact I can only think of a small number of guys who either didn't have out and out F1 connections or a thick wallet. Maybe Glock, even if he had done a couple of races and some testing years before, is the only one in recent times?