View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3021495)   #2548
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihokS5 View Post
I think your missing the big fact that the Peugeot was fast BECAUSE it was essentially the same car and was running the highest HP engine allowed by the rules.
The car was not innovative by any means.
The Audi on the other hand was able to stay on pace with the 908 for most of the season and made for some great battles. And it was Audi's first year out with a coupe in a long time, and the car(engine) were very innovative.
The stats on paper would look as if the Pug would be much faster, and I was quite suprised to see that single turbo V6 power that R18 like it did
Who cares if it was innovative or not? It was faster and last time I checked that's all that counts in racing. Audi's problem is that they want to be over-innovative all the time.

Look at the initial R15, it was simply way too complicated to set up and thus largely a failure. Audi tends to overthink things instead of being purely results-driven.

That worked for them when there was no competition but the faults in their approached showed when there was somebody giving them hell. Even the R18 is fundamentally flawed with its visibility issues.

You can spin it as you want, Audi's head to head results against Peugeot are quite pathetic and unfortunately they won't be getting the chance to correct it. The stat of Peugeot going out unbeaten against them outside Le Mans since Sebring 2009 (!) will be in the history books forever.

I think Toyota is wise enough to have observed this very closely, if you pressure Audi enough they will make mistakes. Both on track and in terms of design.