View Single Post
Old 27 Feb 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3031803)   #1364
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Sorry to butt in on the karma debate but I would like to congratulate my little bro in law and all at Clearwater for the solid job they all did to finish third

Here is a little snip of what Matt had to say afterwards:

“That was the hardest race I’ve ever done from the point of view of the conditions and visibility – torrential rain for 10 of the 12 hours was like nothing I’d ever seen, and it was also foggy at the top of the Mountain. You had to be so careful; one tiny mistake and you could go hard into the wall.

“We got killed by safety cars unfortunately and lost a lap under one of them, and then didn’t get a wave by under another so went a second lap down. Our pace in the dry was really good and the car ran faultlessly the whole race, but the Mercedes and Audis had the edge on us in the wet.

“Bathurst is the best track I’ve ever been round and the whole event was absolutely brilliant. None of us put a foot wrong all weekend and even managed to avoid the kangaroos in qualifying. I thought they were joking about them at the drivers’ briefing but took note when it came up on the timing screens there were ‘roos at Turn 3. You don’t get that at Silverstone or Spa!!”

Matt was straight to the airport after the race to return to the UK for testing at Oulton Park! And they say that racing drivers have a glamorous lifestyle!!
You might also argue that the car was slightly hamstrung by the 50kg weight penalty it didnt really need too... despite Mr Baird saying that it wouldnt make much difference to performance... one of the 458s has the lap record, the other not..

Mr Baird commented yesterday during the live feed that the team thought the race would be in warm conditions, that they chose the conservative hard Michelin dry tyre instead of the softer medium compound. While it makes no difference in the rain... it might have done...

Glad Mr Griffin enjoyed his ride.. hope he comes back next year...