View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3087188)   #3529
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The article also explains how Audi reduced the weight of the R18 during the winter. The 2011 R18 weighed 850 kg and the 2012 R18 ultra only 750 kg! 30 kg was saved with the carbon gearbox casing, 15 kg on the engine, turbo and cooling, and 40 kg on the chassis, bodywork and suspension. The hybrid system weighs less than 100 kg.

So in the e-tron quattro they still have around 50 kg of ballast, whereas in the ultra they can position 140 kg of ballast!
The article in the latest RCE edition gives slightly different numbers for the weight saving than the AMS article: 85 kg in total, including 30 kg from the turbocharger, 10 kg from the bodywork, another big chunk by the carbon gearbox casing, and a bit in the all-new monocoque which is also stiffer than last year. Personally I find this 30 kg in the turbocharger hard to believe...

Another interesting comment by Ralf Jüttner regarding both R18 versions:
Quote:
Consumption of the Ultra cars was higher than I expected from the values I saw on the telemetry, but then in the Quattro you have guys like Tom, who is our master fuel conversing anyway. With the Ultra you can place ballast much better, so it is purely old fashioned motorsport - center of gravity and better weight distribution.
source: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&p=16