Thread: Le Mans Classic
View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3106307)   #287
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
it depends when you started watching racing, I think. To me, the 50s were the very apogee of racing, as the cars were recognisable as exotic versions of what you could buy in the showroom .(And even actually buy, in the case of the C/D-Types and DBR3S).

The 70s onwards brought hideous sponsors colour schemes, and the death of the gentleman driver. Each to his own, I suppose.

(P.S. That photo of a 908 - it's a 906).
It certainly would be a boring world if we all liked the same.....

Yes, the pic is a Porsche Carrera 6 / 906. Here is a couple of unadorned 908s, courtesy of conceptcarz.com, although my preference is for the little 'flunders'. I have heard the 906 & 908s referred to as the 'white racers', which I believe is because the works cars were predominantly white, rather than traditional silver?