View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3189428)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
That may be OK as a generalisation, but the specifics of my limited experience are very different.

My Citroen DS3 does fit your perception of European cars - agile, with very good steering feel, but the C3, basically the same car, is far from being a "driver's car" - sloppy steering, underdamped suspension.

The worst steering I've experienced for a long time was a Fiat Grande Punto. The steering has two settings. One of them gives overlight steering with absolutely no feedback, giving no hint of any mechanical connection between the steering wheel & the front wheels; the other setting makes it even worse!

As for American cars, my recent experience is limited to Dodge Charger, Challenger R/T & Ford Mustang. The Dodges both had good steering feel; didn't find any twisties to try the Charger, but the Challenger handled them well although its bulk was always apparent. As for the Mustang, I was lucky enough (well, I actually planned it!) to drive it on one of America's most famous stretches of road, Deal's Gap, TN - 308 bends in 11 miles! That was the most fun I've had in a car for a long time . . . it's a good-handling car!

So, on the basis of my very limited experience, it's USA 3, Europe 1!

Can't comment on Japanese cars, as the only time I've ever driven one was over 20 years ago.