View Single Post
Old 10 Oct 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3315881)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'll admit to disliking the current evolution of gp2 with a burning passion, so i probably fall under the "snob" category in your mind. unfortunately, it embodies everything i currently resent about f1.

drivers do get to f1 from gp2 without f1 team links, yes, but not without a large wedge of cash. who was the last one to get into the sport full stop without crossing someone's palms with silver or using a preexisting relationship? unless you've got enough money to make up for your lack of results, you need to be established with a f1 team as you start in 3.5 or gp2.

until someone in a position of influence in a f1 team comes out and says that gp2 prepares a driver better for f1 i'm going to remain unconvinced on that particular side of the discussion, especially whilst the likes of red bull and mclaren avoid it. the only people saying that seem to be gp2 teams.

regarding a perceived similarity between the eurocup and 3.5 cars, i doubt that hugely. perhaps it helps that there's a familiarity with the circuits, the way things work in the paddock and the teams involved. the eurocup drivers have just won a championship, after all - vandoorne beat kvyat, who many here rate highly and is hardly slow. frijns beat both sainz and kvyat.

if you're going to start suggesting that vandoorne hasn't proven himself outside of the wsr event then you need to consider that magnussen hasn't really done that either, despite having an additional two seasons worth of (f3) racing experience at the same age.