Old 11 Sep 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3452145)   #286
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So... the championship is kicking off this weekend and I don't see particularly high hype here or in other forums or respected media. Even teams like Andretti Autosport have nothing recent to say about in on their official page or FB account, it's like 'whatever'. In fact I too had already forgotten it and found out it was starting now by pure coincidence. Smells like Formula 2.

So single day event in China it is. You know I was a fan of A1GP and Superleague Formula had some interesting ideas, so weird format like this could work. Maybe. While the cars are... what they are the fanboost is one of the silliest fake gimmicks anywhere, the overall format has some promise in it I think? Street circuits on uncharted territories is probably the most interesting aspect

Guess I need to watch this first event at least

From what I can see most (probably all) of the teams are using twitter to 'promote' their teams/drivers etc. Seeing loads of retweets and discussion on my feed etc. I think there is a lot of hype among the fans and by twitter's retweet system means that they're always reaching new people. I know a load of people went to the thing at donington, and that generated a lot of hype too.

Fanboost is obviously a gimmick but it drives traffic to the website, gets teams involved with fans etc. Even if it has minimal effect, teams will still want to say they have the best fans (etc) so will be pushing it on social media, and if it does have a larger impact then it becomes even more important for the teams to promote their drivers and therefore the series.

On the tech side I think it's unfair to compare to LMP1, the concepts are really different and I'd say e is pushing the boundaries a bit more.