Old 8 Apr 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3631223)   #24
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
now that could be a very interesting control mechanism that would have some very positive side benefits. but maintain the cap on the number of crew a team can bring with them to prevent the teams from just hiring more people.
I agree. In combination with less restrictive technical regulations, it might cause divergence. For example, teams could choose between using either an incredibly complex power unit that cannot be easily changed after qualifying or a less sophisticated one that allows a quick renewal.
Imagine how this would naturally mix-up the starting grid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
2000 germany...is that one where some idiot walked onto the track?

i would also add to that list Japan 2005. rain having an effect between quali and the race and SC period...i suppose it makes sense that they would try to recreate those elements as those are some of the more memorable races of the past 15-20 years.

from a safety side of things though, there is an inherent danger in creating mixed grids as faster cars trying to pass slower ones can and often does lead to accidents.
Mixed-up starting grids indeed come with a safety risk. But so does the use of a drag reduction system.