View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3750534)   #65
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The threashold in the Autosport article you take about is secret. Perhaps it is 0.180s and some insider has let that slip?
I thought that might be the answer. However, if so, it would seem to be odd that it was given in that post as a reaction time and not some other value (such as rate of movement or length of movement). And also odd that you could still move AFTER the lights go out and expect to be penalized even if it would require superhuman reaction times.

I suspect if that reaction time based answer is correct, it may be down to the capabilities of the telemetry they are getting back at race control? I have no direct knowledge of how they are doing this, but I can imagine it is captured via different methods. And I can also imagine that very small positional changes may be difficult to detect (how much as the car moved?), but at the same time, detecting that some type of positional change has occurred potentially can be done with great accuracy (when did the car move?). If that theory is correct, it could result in a reaction time vs rate of change or amount of change based threshold. I would love for F1Guy to comment regarding the source of that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
On the swimming pool. Did you mean 3000mm (3m), or is it less that that? I get the point and it still stands, I'm just curious.
Darn metric system and it's easy to use base ten units! It was 3cm in lane variation, so I should have said 30mm instead of 3000mm! I was trying to use the same units in the comparison and got it wrong..

Richard