View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2017, 05:19 (Ref:3756247)   #8144
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I think Marcus Schurig's interview on MWM promoted the rumour to open secret and at that point it didn't make sense to try and keep a lid on it. I was surprised he and Hindhaugh were so brazen about it, even Goodwin was typically cautious later on in the podcast.
I just caught up with this podcast. For me it was very interesting to learn that Porsche had already designed and built (according to Marcus Schurig) a 2018 car based on the rules that were originally supposed to introduced in 2018. The car supposedly has a new engine (suspected V6) and 10MJ hybrid.
I have a strong suspicion that if the 2020 regs had maintained the same profile as the original 2018 regs, Porsche would still be in the WEC.

I know that this post will immediately trigger the "control costs" advocates, but I also completely agree with the point that was made later in the podcast that cost is not the issue , but rather the slowdown of rate of development by those already participating in the series in order to make it easier to attract new OEM's.

The problem with this, is that Porsche had already made the investment of 2018 and does not have the time to slow down its development due to what it perceives as the very near future for drive train electrification.