View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4082967)   #437
AnonymityRules
Racer

AnonymityRules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
So not joking about why (in my opinion) Davidson is not an unfulfilled talent.

If having an opinion on that and providing a reason is wrong, I guess I wonder what is being achieved by putting the names forward in a chat forum anyway?

So why do I think this about Davidson:
Wining a Formula Ford Festival? It's a one-off meeting, and not really the same as being able to put together a season campaign. If I go back to the OP 'never achieved the greatness that they looked destined to in lower formulae' - I wouldn't consider a single race meeting performance as a sign of being destined for greatness.
Since his win - have any other winners of the Formula Ford Festival gone on to achieve greatness in F1 that we can benchmark against?

Runner-up in British Formula 3? To start with, being runner up in a series is (IMO) not really a sign of greatness. He came second to Sato in that season, and when you compare their time as teammates in F1, then there is clear indication that Davidson's results were about on par with what his junior formulae record suggested.

As I say - it is my opinion and happy to hear justification from others on why they think he is an unfulfilled talent.
Do I think he is a very talented driver? Yes.
Do I think he is a good analyst? Yes.
Do I think his record in lower formulae suggests that greatness was in his future? Absolutely not.

And I (personally) think that the subsequent records of - van der Merwe, Heylen, Foster, Clarke, Tappy, Tandy, Boyd, Palmer, Lind, Malvern, Buri, Courtney, Green, Carroll, Kimball, Jarvis, Engel, Turvey, Grubmüller and Calado - back up my position.

I'd welcome a challenge on why a FF Festival win and British F3 runner up record is a sign of greatness?
That's just going to leave other users wondering what exactly constitutes an "unfulfilled talent" and what doesn't as far as you're concerned and quite frankly I personally have had enough of you pouring cold water on every driver I mention. I don't care what you perceive it as because the cold-water treatment is how I perceive and I am sick to the teeth of it.

You can defend yourself and this thread to the hilt but that won't change my stance that this thread is just to bash racing drivers for not reaching F1 or being talented enough to be destined for "greatness". I mean how is Adam Carroll on your list? Oh wait, I know because there's users like you who insist on being pedantic and underlying every conceivable reason to the point of every I dotted and every T crossed as to why drivers like Adam Carroll are in the list, even though he won the A1GP title for Team Ireland. Was the series that bad in its last season that Carroll's success was completely devalued? Honestly, I don't care how you respond to this because I am really not interested, I think you're just being really unfair, even F1/GP Rejects isn't that hard on the so-called heroic failures of F1 that they're supposed to be paying tribute to. I won't say anymore because I'll just start rambling and I don't want to do that.