View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4124861)   #212
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Two braking points ? Same as Thruxton?
porsche962fan has a valid point here.

Yes, Thruxton and Silverstone National both have two 'real' braking points. The difference though is the length of both the braking distances and the race.

The current BTCC hybrid system means that the cars might not (normally) generate enough charge under braking to match a full race deployment - and the battery will be depleted at the end of the race. With this in mind, when you compare the demands of Thruxton and Silverstone National, they are very different.

First of all - some specs:
The hybrid system holds a charge of 1.5 kWh.
The hybrid deployment peaks at 30kW.

At Thruxton, the maximum deployment over a full race is 1.875 kWh - so the system only needs to generate 0.375 kWh during the race to last a full distance. The circuit design means that, particularly into the chicane, the level of deceleration is high and so regeneration is easily achieved.

At Silverstone National, the maximum deployment over a full race is 2.625 kWh - so the system needs to generate 1.125 kWh during the race. The braking distances are shorter at Silverstone National, so there is a realistic chance that the system might not be able to fully regenerate during the race.